Water borne epidemics have over time, ravaged different portions of the country. This has resulted in great loss of life. Traditionally, there have been several methods undertaken for the purification of water. Boiling of water and addition of purifying agents before consumption like drinking water purifying tablets are some time- tested methods. Conventional methods, however do not provide complete solution to water borne diseases . As more and more new disease causing pathogen strains which are very resistant are evolving every day, the need for Water Purification tablets is also increasing many folds. Water purification is no longer a luxury that is afforded by a few rich people but it has become a necessity which cannot be overlooked.
Costly methods like RO, filters etc. are out of reach to most of the population. Even city water supply gets contaminated at several points where dirty sewage water mixes with purified drinking water. At this point Water Purification tablets like Chlorine tablets have emerged as the best cost effective solution to this problem. As these Chlorine tablets are extremely easy to use, economical, stable, safe and have been proven to eliminate a range of commonly occurring water borne pathogens.
The main advantages of Chlorine water purifying tablets as enunciated by most Chlorine tablet suppliers are as follows;
- They yield a known level of available Chlorine.
- They are useful even in hard water.
- They act with complete efficiency in water containing high organic contents.
- They are easy to store and distribute.
- There are no spillage and leaks with these tablets.This is an advantage over liquid chlorine which is a hazardous substance hence most Chlorine tablet suppliers abstain from liquid chlorine.
- These tablets provide an easy to use dilution system that eradicates the over dosing problem that is common in liquid chlorine.
- Dissolves in solution to a neutral pH solution.
- No effect on taste ,odour and colour of water.
- Safe and accurate ,provides long term effect.
- Though the shelf life is officially 6 months but most Chlorine tablet suppliers promise that they remain effective for a much longer duration of time provided they are kept in dry and dark areas.
- They are ideal for travelling ,camping etc due to their size and packing.
- They are ideal for sterilizing in hospitals laundries and hotels.
- They are better than home water appliances which loose their efficiency over time and are costly also hence are a luxury item for most people.
- They can fight recontamination unlike boiled water which becomes recontaminated.
- They are available in a wide range of packaging.
To summarize the uses of water purifying tablets:
Perhaps you are an adventurer hiking in the wilderness and realize you are out of bottled water. There is a stream up ahead; you are quite thirsty and the water looks clean. Or perhaps your town was just hit hard by a hurricane, disrupting and contaminating your water supply. In situations like these, it is risky to drink untreated water. Portable water purifying products can come in handy and are marketed for use in these kinds of situations.Drinking untreated water, which can contain various pathogens, can lead to illness ranging from mild gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea to more severe illnesses like hepatitis, meningitis, and even death. According to the Waterborne Disease and Outbreak Surveillance System (WBDOSS), in the United States during 2013-2014, 42 water-associated outbreaks were reported. These outbreaks resulted in at least 1006 cases of illness, 124 hospitalizations, and 13 deaths.
Water purifying chemicals can be added to untreated water to kill harmful microorganisms (protozoa, bacteria, and viruses) and make the water safer to drink. They can be useful following a natural disaster that disturbs the supply of drinkable water or for people who are camping, hiking, or find themselves in remote areas where safe drinking water is not readily available.
Water purifying chemicals available today are most commonly in the form of tablets, but they are also available in liquid drops or packaged powder.
How safe are water purifying chemicals and can they be poisonous? When used correctly, water purifying chemicals are generally safe. They themselves are a safety measure intended to be consumed, after all! However, when in tablet form, they can easily be mistaken for medications, vitamins, or candy, and children who gain access to them can swallow them.